All About UGC NET 2019
The National Eligibility Test (NET), also known as UGC NET, is a test to determine eligibility for college & university level lecturership & for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) for Indian nationals. It aims to ensure minimum standards for the entrants in teaching professions & research.
The University Grants Commission (UGC) came into existence on 28th December, 1953 & became a statutory Organization however, was formally established only in November 1956 as a statutory body of the Government of India through an Act of Parliament for the coordination, determination & maintenance of standards of university education in India for the coordination, determination & maintenance of standards of teaching, examination & research in university education.
The National Eligibility Test (NET) is conducted to select the eligible candidates for the post of Assistant Professor (AF) & the award of JRF (Junior Research Fellowship). As per a recent announcement by the HRD Ministry, the examination will now be conducted by the newly formed National Testing Agency (NTA). In fact, UGC NET 2019 December session would be the first exam of the agency.
UGC NET 2019 Exam Pattern :
UGC NET will consist of two different papers (Paper I, II) conducted in two sessions. Candidates will need to appear for these two papers in order to be eligible for JRF & Assistant Professor or Assistant Professor only.
|Session||Paper||Number of Questions||Marks||Duration|
|First||I||50 (Questions to be attempted – All)||100||1 Hour (09:30 AM to 10:30 AM)|
|Second||II||100 (Questions to be attempted – All)||200||2 Hours (11:00 AM to 1:00 PM)|
Marking scheme: Two marks will be awarded for each correct answer. There is no negative marking in the exam.
The official website informs, “Paper I is designed to test reasoning ability, comprehension, divergent thinking & general awareness of the candidate.” The website also informs, “All the questions of Paper II will be compulsory, covering entire syllabi of earlier Paper II & Paper III (including all electives, without options).”
You can download updated syllabus of 2019 in PDF form
|For Course||Paper 1||Paper 2|
|For Computer Science||Click Here||Click Here|
|For Electronics Science||Click Here||Click Here|
National Testing Agency, the eligibility criteria for UGC NET December 2019 exam details:
- Educational Qualification:
A candidate should have a Master’s Degree from a recognised University or Institution of India.
He/ she should have a minimum aggregate of 55% marks. However, a candidate belonging to the Reserved category (SC/ST/OBC/PWD) should have a minimum score of 50% marks.
Relaxation of 5% marks is given to the candidates who have qualified their Masters by 19th September 1991.
Candidates who are appearing in their final year exams are also eligible to apply.
- UGC NET Age Limit:
For JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) –
Age Limit – The candidate should not be more than 30 years of age.
For Assistant Professor –
No upper age limit to apply for the post of Assistant professor.
- Relaxation in the Upper Age Limit –
Reserved category candidates (SC/ST/OBC-NCL/PWD) will be given relaxation of 5 years in the upper age limit.
The candidates with LL.M degree will be given 3 years age relaxation in the JRF Exam.
Candidates who have research experience will also be given proper relaxation in the age limit.
- Exemption for UGC NET Exam –
Certain categories of candidates are exempted from the requirement of the NTA NET Exam qualification to apply for the Assistant Professor post. Check official website for more details.
Question Paper Pattern for CBSE UGC NET December 2019
- Exam Mode: Offline mode.
- OMR Sheet: Candidates had to mark their responses on the Optical Mark Reader (OMR) Sheet.
- Papers: The test was consisted of three papers.
- Type of Questions: All the papers had objective-type questions- MCQs.
- Number of Paper: Total 150 questions were asked in NET which was divided into 2 papers.
- Number of Questions: Paper-I had 50 questions & Paper-II had 100 questions.
- Medium of Paper: Choice for the paper medium was exercised at the time of filling the form. Candidate could have chosen the paper medium as either Hindi or English.
- Subjects: The Paper-I consisted of General Aptitude Questions testing Reasoning Ability, Comprehension Reading, Mental Ability, & General Awareness. Paper-II & III contained questions related to the concerned subject.
- Exam Duration: Paper-I & Paper-II was of 1 hour 15 mins, Paper-III was of 2 1/2 hours
- Marking Scheme: Each correct answer had carried 2 marks & there was no negative marking.
UGC NET Syllabus 2019
|00||General Paper on Teaching & Research Aptitude (Paper -I)|
|11||Defence and Strategic Studies|
|16||Hindustani Music (Vocal/Instrumental)|
|39||French (French Version)|
|–||French (English Version)|
|46||Adult Education/Continuing Education/Andragogy/Non Formal Education|
|49||Arab Culture and Islamic Studies|
|55||Labour Welfare/Personnel Management/Industrial Relations/Labour and Social Welfare/Human Resource Management|
|59||Library and Information Science|
|60||Buddhist, Jaina, Gandhian and Peace Studies|
|62||Comparative Study of Religions|
|63||Mass Communication and Journalism|
|65||Performing Art – Dance/Drama/Theatre|
|66||Museology & Conservation|
|70||Tribal and Regional Language/Literature|
|73||Sanskrit Traditional Subjects (including Jyotisha/Sidhanta Jyotisha/Navya Vyakarna/ Vyakarna/ Mimamsa/ Navya Nyaya/ Sankhya Yoga/ Tulanatmaka Darsana/ Shukla Yajurveda/ Madhva Vedanta/ Dharma Sastra/ Sahitya/ Purana-itihasa/ Agama/Advaita Vedanta)|
|79||Visual Art (including Drawing & Painting/Sculpture/Graphics/Applied Art/History of Art)|
|81||Social Medicine & Community Health|
|87||Computer Science and Applications|
|90||International and Area Studies|
|92||Human Rights and Duties|
|93||Tourism Administration and Management|
|96||Karnatik Music (Vocal Instrument, Percussion)|
UGC NET Exam 2019 Application Process
The application process will be online. The notification regarding the application process was released in February 2019. Following steps will be used to fill the application form:
- Visit the official website by clicking here.
- You can fill the registration form by clicking here
- Candidates will be required to fill the application form, upload the scanned copies of all necessary documents, like photograph & signature & finally pay the requisite application fee.
- After making payment of the application fee, the candidates will be able to download the fee confirmation page for future references.