TOEFL is an acronym of the Test of English as a Foreign Language, which is the official name for the test. If you are a international student looking to study in a university in an English speaking country, then you may need to take a TOEFL test. It measure your ability to both speak and understand English by analysing your English ability in terms of reading, speaking, listening and writing. TOEFL is accepted as proof of English proficiency in 9,000 colleges, universities and organizations and other TOEFL participating institutes across 130 countries in the World.
Who needs to take a TOEFL test?
The TOEFL test has been taken by over 27 million people worldwide to ensure their English ability is adequate. The test is often taken by students who are planning to study at a university abroad. Some scholarships are also offered to candidates, along with students and workers who are applying for visas. As an admission requirement, you may find that some courses require a minimum TOEFL score which will allow you to proceed onto the course along with the regular course requirements. Minimum score requirements can range between 61 and 100 depending on the institution and course.
The result you receive in your TOEFL test will be valid for two years.
Test is taken by 2 ways :
1. Internet test (TOEFL iBT)
2. Paper-based test (TOEFL PBT)
|Internet test (TOEFL iBT)||Paper-based test (TOEFL PBT)|
|· A reading section of 60-100 minutes which involves reading 3-5 passages, containing 12-14 question in each passage.
· A listening section consists of 60-90 minutes which involves 6-9 passages, containing 5-6 questions in each passage.
· A speaking section which can last up to 20 minutes and involves 6 spoken tasks.
· A writing section which can last up to 50 minutes and involves 2 tasks which needs to be completed.
|· A listening section of 30-40 minutes consisting of 3 parts.
· A structure and written expression section 25 minutes long which includes 15 exercises of sentence completion and 25 examples for error identification.
· A reading section which lasts up to 50 minutes and includes answering 50 questions about passages.
· A writing section which can be 30 minutes long, which involves one written essay containing around 250-300 words.
The cost of taking the TOEFL test varies from country to country, ranging from US$160 to US$250.
Where can I take a TOEFL test?
There are many tests throughout the year across the world which you can take. There are 4,500 TOEFL test centres in 165 countries, which ensures that there’s going to be a centre which is easily accessible to you. You can find your nearest test centre on the official TOEFL website, which contains the locations of test centres and information about the format, they conduct the test in.
You can visit the official website by clicking here